Book Review: The Shack

By C. Randall Waters on 2/12/2009 03:04:00 AM

Filed Under: ,

The Shack
by: William P. Young

The reason I read this book was because I heard so much hype about it. I was very skeptical at first because it is a fiction book and I typically try to stay out of the christian bubble as much as I can. Though in all reality I am in the bubble deeper than I want to admit. I decided to add this to my Christmas list and if I got it cool and if not, no big deal. Well wouldn't you know that my Aunt got me the book for Christmas.

The Shack takes you through part of Mack Phillips life. He is a family man who has become disconnected from God. While on a camping trip with his children Mack experiences tragedy in a way he has never experienced it before. A few years later Mack is still scared by what he has dubbed as the Great Sadness and it has hurt his relationships with his wife, children, and God. Mack receives a mysterious message telling him to go where the Great Sadness all began, the shack. Mack ventures off to a rendezvous with none other than God. From there Mack is taken through a process of learning, healing, and being loved by God. When he returns he comes home a completely different man.

The Shack is one of the best explanations of where God is when bad things happen to us. It gives a great illustration of how God views us and tries to show us how much he loves us. Now this is a fictional book but is inspired by theology. It will leave you wanting a deeper relationship with Jesus. I don't know a lot of how the Holy Spirit, God, and Jesus all work together and are one, but after reading this I can begin to process just how it might all work. 


If anything you should read this book because it is wonderfully written and is a great story. William P. Young does an excellent job describing scenes that I would have not known how to even begin to describe. Regardless of being a Christian, a seeker, or a non-believer you can't read this book and not finish without feeling hope and desiring something more.
Check it out at http://theshackbook.com