Andy Rooney Moment: Coffee

By C. Randall Waters on 3/27/2009 06:23:00 AM

Filed Under: , ,

Coffee has become such a cultural icon for today. If your successful, prosperous, well liked, or cool you drink coffee. A long time ago coffee was a drink for the ordinary man. The man who worked hard, played hard, and needed a cheap pick me up to get up in the morning. Now coffee is found in corner boutique like shops and you spend as much for a cup of coffee as you used to for a pound.

People have become coffee snobs. A cup of joe is just not good enough anymore. I spent a month working the office for a Young Life camp and had the responsibility of being the town runner. My job was to fulfill the needs of the camp and campers by running errands in town for them. Our camp medic would have me make a special trip in a different part of town to get him this special locally grown coffee. Starbucks coffee from Walmart wasn't even good enough for him. Why? Now I understand that coffee has degrees of quality to it but seriously.

You have your;

On top of all of these different types people spend immense amounts of time adding to their coffee so its just right. You got to add your sugar/sweetener, cream or milk. Then its one pack or five packs and has to be stirred so many times. There are also the people who want their coffee fresh but then add ice because its too hot. Is the drink really worth all this work?


What happened that coffee became this fad? Now maybe I'm biased because I don't drink coffee, but I missed the days where a plain old cup of joe was acceptable. As for me, just give me a nice refreshing Coca-Cola for my caffeine fix.